Changing Careers and Interim Employment for K-12 Employees
After you're laid off, you might seek interim employment, find a new career, or work in a new industry. How do you make these moves?
People in the midst of job transition often use the time and motivation to step back and think about their career path.
Here are some resources to help you if you're thinking of changing careers:
- Review a career planning guide (69KB, .pdf) to evaluate where you are in this decision and what your next steps might be.
- Assess yourself — your skills, interests, and your experience to know what you bring to a new career or job.
- Get an overview on changing careers after a job loss.
- Use a job skills transfer assessment tool to find occupations that are a good match for you based on your work experience.
Related K-12 Occupations
Below are related occupations similar to the occupational groups employed by K-12 school districts. Learn about wages, employment growth, skills needed, education requirements, and other related occupations by clicking on these career cluster titles.
- Education and Training Careers
- Health Science Careers
- Human Services Careers
- Careers in other clusters
Related K-12 Industries
Below are industries related to K-12. Find information on working in these industries including occupations, associations, resources, and employment by clicking on an industry title.
- Careers in Ambulatory Health Care Services
- Careers in Hospitals
- Careers in Religious, Grantmaking, Civic, Professional, and Similar Organizations
- Careers in Social Assistance
- Careers in all other industries
Educators tend to be versatile, with a wide range of occupations to consider. Explore some of these specialty occupations based on your unique skills and expertise.
- Administrative Service Managers
- Customer Service Representatives
- Human Resources Assistants
- Human Resources Specialists
- Library Technicians
- Meeting, Convention, and Event Planners
- Nonfarm Animal Caretakers
- Veterinary Technologists and Technicians
Teaching or Training
- Adult Basic and Secondary Education and Literacy Teachers
- Distance Learning Coordinators
- Instructional Coordinators
- Self-Enrichment Education Teachers
- Training and Development Specialists
- Computer Hardware Engineers
- Computer Network Architects
- Computer Programmers
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Computer User Support Specialists
- Management Analysts
- Market Research Analysts
- Search Marketing Strategists
- Systems Software Developers