Work Plan: Transportation
What You Need to Know:
- The northland is a major transportation hub for the rest of the country.
- Northland transportation industry occupations include: motor vehicles (trucks, busses, taxis, ambulances, and driver/sales), railroad transit, water transportation (shipping and handling), air transport (air cargo and passenger service), and material moving (excavating equipment, cranes, dredges and industrial trucks/tractors).
- Pay scales range from $17,000 to $60,000+ per year with an average wage of approximately $36,600. Most jobs in the industry offer a good benefit package in addition to wages.
- Learn who the leading Transportation companies are in the region. (PDF)
Projected types and numbers of openings in the Transportation industry over the next ten years.
- The area with the highest projected job openings are in the trucking and material moving (heavy equipment) sectors.
How to get the skills and training needed for a future in the Transportation industry.
Visit these links for Training Programs:
- The majority of jobs require short to moderate-term on-the-job training.
- You can earn a quality wage while acquiring critical skills for advancement.
- A commercial driver's license (CDL) is required for many of the occupations in the transportation industry.
Kick Off Your Career Game Plan:
visit these links for specific information about opportunities and options in the transportation industry in the northland.
- Northwest Airlines Reservation Call Center
- Canadian National (CN) Railway
- Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corp.
- Halvor Lines, Superior
- Jeff Foster Trucking, Superior
- United Parcel Service (UPS)
- Timberline Express, Superior
- Valley Cartage & Warehousing, Superior
- Dave Evans Transport, Superior
- Figgins Trucking, Grand Rapids
- Wille Transport, Deer River
- Union Pacific Corp.
- Canadian Pacific Railway, Superior
- Bob Volz Trucking, Solon Springs
- Kirscher Transport, Virginia
- Fedex Freight, Hermantown
- Monson Trucking,
- Duluth Seaway Port Authority
- Duluth International Airport