Field of Study: Marketing
You can prepare for this program by taking courses in high school that prepare you for college. This typically includes four years of English, three years of math, three years of social studies, and two years of science. Some colleges also require two years of a second language.
- Introduction to Business
- Business Computer Applications
- Public Speaking
Admission to graduate programs is competitive. You need a bachelor's degree, good grades, and good test scores. Your undergraduate major should be business-related. Otherwise, some courses or work experience in business is very helpful. Course work in psychology is also good preparation.
Additional requirements at some schools include:
- Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT)
- Letters of recommendation
If you are interested in a leadership position in this field, you may consider getting a master's in business administration (MBA). A large number of schools let you specialize in marketing during the two years typically required for this degree. Some people pursue the MBA after getting a bachelor's in a non-business field. It helps to have some business course work or business work experience.
Typical course work
A bachelor's program in this field typically includes courses in the following subjects:
- Accounting Principles
- Business Finance
- Business Law
- Consumer and Buyer Behavior
- Contracts and Sales
- Integrated Marketing Communications
- International Marketing
- Introduction to Accounting
- Introduction to Management Information Systems
- Introduction to Marketing
- Introduction to Psychology
- Management Principles
- Marketing Research Methods
- Marketing Strategy
- Oral Communication
- Presentation Graphics
- Principles of Advertising
- Principles of Macroeconomics
- Principles of Management and Organization
- Principles of Microeconomics
- Statistical Methods and Concepts
Electives may include sports marketing, recreation marketing, and travel and tourism, among others.
An associate degree program typically requires a smaller selection of these courses.
The MBA commonly also has these requirements:
- Required courses
- Thesis (may not be required)