Field of Study: Civil Engineering Technology
Civil engineering technology programs prepare people to help engineers who work on public works projects such as bridges and tunnels.
Civil engineering technology programs include topics such as:
- Site analysis
- Structural testing procedures
- Field and laboratory testing procedures
- Plan and specification preparation
- Test equipment and maintenance
- Report preparation
- Computer-aided design (CAD)
- Global positioning systems (GPS)
- Report writing
Many community colleges and technical schools offer certificate and associate degree programs in civil engineering technology. A certificate program usually takes a year of full-time study. An associate degree program at a community college usually takes two years of full-time study to complete.
Several colleges and universities offer bachelor's degrees in civil engineering technology. A bachelor's degree usually takes about four years of full-time study.