1. Skip to content

Transition to Civilian Life for Veterans

Returning to civilian life after military service is different for every person. Luckily, there are resources available to help you make the transition.

Getting Help with Your Transition — Best Places to Start

DoD Transition Assistance Program
Explains the transition process in detail. It offers career guidance and advice on how to manage transition-related paperwork. It also has links to helpful services nationwide.

Minnesota Veteran
Connects Minnesota veterans to county veteran service officers (CVSO). They can help you navigate the transition process.

Veterans Services, Minnesota Department of Employment & Economic Development
Provides a guide to programs assisting Minnesota veterans with transition, employment, and business ownership. It has links to local veterans employment representatives and disabled veterans outreach program representatives.

Beyond the Yellow Ribbon, Minnesota National Guard
Connects service members and their families with community support, training, services, and resources.

Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
Serves Minnesota veterans, their dependents, and survivors. It provides information about local veterans centers, regional offices, and medical centers.

Employment Support for Veterans and Guard/Reserve Members

Jobs for Veterans Program
Provides job development, training assistance, and one-on-one counseling to veterans. Services are available in the seven-county Twin Cities area and the four-county St. Cloud area.

Employer Support for the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
Promotes cooperation and understanding between Reserve component members and their civilian employers.

Transition Support for Special Needs Audiences

Incarcerated and Ex-Offender Veterans
Provides links to information on receiving benefits while incarcerated and planning your release.

Disabled Veterans
Lists programs and services that help veterans and service members with service-related disabilities.

People with Disabilities
Provides a wide collection of resources, services, and valuable links for those with disabilities.

Women Veterans
Links to resources for female veterans, including the VA's Center for Women Veterans.

Homeless Veterans
Links to products and services to help homeless veterans and those at risk of becoming homeless.

Help with Benefits, Health Issues, and Relocation

Provide easy, online access to government benefit and assistance programs.

Veterans ON-line APPlication (VONAPP)
Allows veterans to apply for compensation, pension, vocational rehabilitation, and education benefits.

Health & Emotional Support
Links to resources to help with post-traumatic stress disorder, overcoming addictions, and other health issues.

Relocation Resources
Provides links to help with all aspects of a move. This includes entitlements and benefits, points of contact, and employment and education resources.

Obtaining Military and Civilian Records

National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
Obtain official copies of your military papers. This may include your separation or discharge papers (DD Form 214) or medical records.

U.S. Department of Defense
Obtain Verification of Military Experience and Training (VMET; DD-2586) records. This will help you prepare a resume or fill out applications for college or civilian vocational training.