Success at Work
Finding a job can be difficult, but keeping it can also be a challenge.
You've found a good job. Now, you need to live up to your employer's expectations to keep your job. Here are some tips to help you keep your job and succeed in the workplace.
If you want a raise or promotion, you will need to do all of the things listed below and more.
Stick to Your Work Schedule
- Always be on time to work. Have a backup plan for transportation and child care. If you are running late, call your boss as soon as possible.
- Leave and return from breaks on time.
- Don't ask for time off in the first few weeks of a new job. Let your boss know you're dependable.
Follow the Rules at Work
- Know the company rules and policies. Pay attention to all manuals, orientations, and safety lessons.
- If you are not sure of a policy, ask your supervisor or someone in Human Resources.
- If you have a problem at work, talk to your immediate supervisor first.
- Wear clothing that is similar to what your coworkers wear.
- If you are required to wear a uniform, make sure it is always clean and wrinkle-free.
- Come to work clean and well groomed. Do not wear heavy perfume, cologne, or a lot of makeup.
- Don't make personal phone calls or send personal e-mails during work time. Don't use company equipment, such as the copier or computers, for your own tasks.
- Speak in a way that's appropriate for work. Don't use curse words or slang, or speak too casually to customers or your boss.
- Never use alcohol or illegal drugs at work. You could get fired if caught. It could also keep you from being hired for other jobs.
Get Along with Others
- Be a team player and help coworkers with projects.
- Spend time with coworkers who have good attitudes and work hard.
- Be respectful of other people's views on topics like politics, religion, and culture. Most companies have rules supporting diversity.