Workforce Investment Act
The Workforce Investment Act (WIA) is a federal program that gives workers the chance to learn the skills and information needed to compete in the new economy. Under WIA, training programs are certified as meeting certain performance standards.
Eligible Minnesotans can use federal WIA funds to pay for training programs that are WIA certified. WIA certified training programs include registered apprenticeship programs with the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry, Apprenticeship Unit.
Information for Individual Applicants
The goal of the training program is to secure specific employment rather than just increased employability. A training program that is WIA certified has met or exceeded certain performance standards established by Minnesota's employment and training community.
Contact your local WorkForce Center to see if you qualify for WIA training. Or call1-888-GET JOBS.
Use the education search tools to compare programs:
- Click on "compare programs at different colleges."
- Select a subject and then "view matching programs."
- Choose up to three schools whose programs you would like to compare.
- Compare program descriptions, job placement, retention, and wages of recent program graduates.
Information for Training Providers
WIA certification is designed to bring a system of "quality controls" into the federally-funded training program system. A training provider may apply to have one or more eligible training programs evaluated for WIA certification. An eligible training program consists of one or more courses that, upon successful completion, lead to credentials such as a diploma, industry-recognized certificate or licensure, associate degree, or bachelor's degree. The process provides standards that training providers must meet in order to receive WIA training dollars.
To submit programs for WIA certification in Minnesota, please contact the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development by calling the Employment and Training Program Coordinator at 651-259-7114.
Need More Details about WIA?
- Select "Only show Workforce Investment Act programs" to search for a Minnesota-based, WIA-certified program.
- View WIA-approved courses.
- Locate an out-of-state WIA certified Training Provider.
- See Workforce Investment Act Certification Process which outlines Minnesota's State Plan and workforce development services to be carried out under the Act.