Field of Study: Medical Coding and Billing
Medical billing and coding programs prepare people to work in medical billing offices.
Medical billing and coding programs include topics such as:
- Medical treatment and billing documentation
- Medical records
- Basic anatomy and physiology
- Medical terminology
- Data classification and coding
- Regulations relating to Medicare
- Health insurance law, policy, and regulations
In medical billing and coding programs, students may be able to specialize in:
- Medical coding specialist
- Medical billing specialist
Many career and technical schools offer certificate programs in medical billing and coding. Most community colleges and 2-year schools offer certificate and associate degree programs in medical billing and coding. A certificate program usually takes a year of full-time study. An associate degree program usually takes two years of full-time study.