Licensing / Certification
Physicians must be licensed to practice in Minnesota. Applicants must:
- be of good moral character;
- graduate from an approved medical or osteopathic school;
- complete one year of clinical medical training (residency);
- complete and pass a medical exam;
- appear in person before the board; and
- not be under license suspension or revocation.
To be certified as a specialist, applicants must meet the above requirements. In addition, they must:
- complete additional years of residency; and
- pass a board certification exam.
Physicians must complete 75 hours of continuing medical education every three years to renew their licenses.
For more information, contact:
Board of Medical Practice
2829 University Ave. SE, Suite 500
Minneapolis MN 55414-3246
All states require anesthesiologists to be licensed. Licensing requirements vary by state.
Certifications are examinations that test or enhance your knowledge, experience or skills in an occupation or profession.
There are 16 certifications related to this career.
Click on occupations listed below to find State
of Minnesota licensing information.
Physician (Medical Doctor and Doctor of Osteopathy)