Baggage Porters and Bellhops
People in this career need to:
- Express ideas clearly when speaking.
- Listen to others, understand, and ask questions.
- Notice when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong.
- Concentrate and not be distracted while performing a task.
- Analyze ideas and use logic to determine their strengths and weaknesses.
- Follow guidelines to arrange objects or actions in a certain order.
- Check how well one is learning or doing something.
- Go back and forth between two or more activities or sources of information without becoming confused.
- Look for ways to help people.
- Be aware of others' reactions and change behavior in relation to them.
Reason and Problem Solve
Manage Oneself, People, Time and Things
Work with People
People in this career need knowledge in the following areas:
- Customer and Personal Service: Knowledge of providing special services to customers based on their needs.
- English Language: Knowledge of the meaning, spelling, and use of the English language.
- Public Safety and Security: Knowledge of protecting people, data, and property.
People in this career are people who tend to:
- Consider relationships important. They like to work in a friendly, non-competitive environment. They like to do things for other people. They prefer jobs where they are not pressured to do things that go against their sense of right and wrong.
- Consider support from their employer important. They like to be treated fairly and have supervisors who will back them up. They prefer jobs where they are trained well.
- Have realistic interests. They like work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They like to work with plants, animals, and physical materials such as wood, tools, and machinery. They often prefer to work outside.
- Have conventional interests. They like work activities that follow set procedures, routines, and standards. They like to work with data and detail. They prefer working where there is a clear line of authority to follow.
Source: Minnesota Department of Education.